The Theodore Hamm Brewing Company was founded in 1865 when a German migrant, Theodore Hamm (1825–1903) acquired the Excelsior Brewery from his companion and business partner, A. F. Keller, who had died in California looking for his fortune in the goldfields. Unfit to back the endeavor himself, Keller had gone into an organization with Hamm to make sure about subsidizing. Upon Keller's death, Hamm acquired the little brewery and flour factory in the east side wild of St. Paul, Minnesota. Keller had built his brewery in 1860 over artesian wells in a segment of the Phalen Creek valley in St. Paul then is known as Swede Hollow.
Hamm, a butcher in terms of professional career and neighborhood cantina proprietor, first recruited Jacob Schmidt as a brewmaster. Jacob Schmidt stayed with the organization until the mid-1880s, turning into a nearby family companion of the Hamms. Schmidt left the organization after a contention over Louise Hamm's disciplinary activities with respect to Schmidt's little girl, Marie. By 1884, Schmidt was an accomplice at the North Star Brewery not a long way from Hamm's brewery. By 1899, he had set up his own brewery on the site of the previous Stalhmann Brewery site. Needing another brewmaster, Hamm employed Christopher Figge who began a convention of three ages of Hamm's brewmasters, with his child William and grandson William II inevitably serving in the position. By the 1880s, the Theodore Hamm Brewing Company was apparently the second-biggest in Minnesota.
During Prohibition, the organization made due by creating sodas and other food items, empowering it to grow quickly through acquisitions after the annulment of Prohibition in 1933. From 1933 until 1965, Hamm's saw a lot of accomplishment turning into the "fifth-biggest brewery in the country by the 1950s", quite a bit of this can be ascribed to William C. Figge Jr. taking over as President in 1951. Figge extended the Hamm's image into a public substance with breweries in St. Paul, Minnesota; Los Angeles, California; San Francisco, California; Baltimore, Maryland; and Houston, Texas. The last two were fleeting and shut not long after they opened. As the organization commended its 100th commemoration, the family sold the brewery and left the brewing business to zero in on its land adventures.